BEI PSSC – Our Beginnings
It all began over 150 years ago in 1862 with the D.H Baldwin Company of Cincinnati, Ohio. By the 1890’s the Baldwin Company became the largest piano dealer in the Midwestern United States. Baldwin vowed to build the best piano that could be built and that dedication to excellence is still the core of every instrument built at BEI PSSC’s Maumelle, Arkansas manufacturing plant today.
Baldwin’s work in electronic organs led to the development of an optical technology to generate harmonics. Accurate patterns put down on glass and read optically were the “Tone Wheels” that made organs sound like particular instruments. This technology became the foundation and birth of the optical encoder.
- 1862 – D.H. Baldwin Company, Cincinnati, Ohio
- 1946 – Baldwin Piano & Organ Company Mason, Ohio
- 1958 – Arkansas Radio & Television, N. Little Rock, Arkansas
- 1963 – Baldwin Electronics, Inc., N. Little Rock, Arkansas
- 1973 – BEI Electronics, Inc., Little Rock, Arkansas
- 1976 – BEI Digital Products Division, Little Rock, Arkansas
- 1976 – Defense Products Division, Euless, Texas
- 1983 – BEI Motion Systems Company, Maumelle, Arkansas
- 1994 – BEI Sensors and Systems Company Inc., Maumelle, Arkansas
- 1997 – BEI Precision Systems & Space Divisions of BEI Technologies, Maumelle, Arkansas
- 2006 – BEI Precision Systems & Space Company, Inc. of Custom Sensors & Technologies, Inc. (CST), Maumelle, Arkansas
- 2016 – BEI Precision Systems & Space Company, Inc. of InnoVista Sensors Ltd., Maumelle, Arkansas
- 2017 – BEI Precision Systems & Space Company, Inc., Maumelle, Arkansas